Tips for Baking Homemade Dog Treats

puppy adoptionAfter a puppy adoption in San Diego, you will need to get the best treats for him. Treats are very great more so when it comes to obedience training. You can use them to reward your dog during training. Often times, buying the manufactured dog treats is often a hit or a miss proposition. Most of these treats are filled with sugars, salts and preservatives. They can actually be harmful to your dog. This is why the option of baking your own treats at home makes sense. There are a number of things you will have to do when it comes to this option.

Prevent illness and injuries
Keeping your dog safe must be a priority right after a dog adoption. Furthermore, baking your own dog treat will not make a lot of sense if you end up hurting your dog in the process. To keep him safe, you have to consider doing the following:

  • Keep your dog away from the kitchen
  • Avoid the use of baking molds that contain BPA. BPA is a contaminant that has been linked to a range of health issues including cancer.
  • Do not use toxic ingredients like onions, xylitol, garlic, raisin or chocolate. Read the product label keenly before including an ingredient in your dog treats.
  • Cook at the right temperature so as to kill pathogens

Skip the unnecessary ingredients
Some of the ingredients you enjoy in your food are unnecessary for your dog. For example, you don’t need to use sugars or frostings. You also need to avoid the use of fat because fat can cause some dogs to develop pancreatitis when you feed them high fat foods and treats. Most fruits and vegetables are good. You can include carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, kale, dandelion greens, apple, pears, peaches, blueberries, bananas, pumpkin and strawberries.

Count the calories
After a dog rescue in San Diego, it is your responsibility to keep him safe and healthy. You have to make sure that he doesn’t gain weight. Feeding him too much treat will lead to nutritional imbalances. The treats should not be more than 10% of his daily caloric intake. The remaining 90% should come from a balanced diet. Weighing the treats on a gram scale is one of the best ways to track the calorie intake of your dog.

These tips will get you started on the right track when you start cooking homemade treats. There are so many recipes you will find online. You can also ask the staff at the shelter for some advice before or after going through with the puppy rescue.

Dog adoption